Thursday, April 16, 2009

The Journey Has Begun

On March 23, 2009 my family began a journey that many people before us have taken. I have often wondered how I would feel if a doctor told me or one of my loved ones that we had cancer, the big "C". Now I know and the only way I can describe it is numb. My dad has been diagnosed with squamous cell carcinoma, stage 4A in the tonsil and lymph nodes. The mass is about 6 cm in diameter and involves multiple lymph nodes. The cancer is contained in the neck area and will be treated with radiation and chemotherapy, which one first we will find out on Monday, April 20th when we meet with the Chemo Oncologist, Dr. Delal. We have already met with Dr. Wilder, the Radiation Oncologist. He spent about 2 hours with us and explained the whole process to us in detail, the good (which there was not much), the bad and the ugly. We appreciated his openness, and want to be prepared so there will be no surprises. Dr. Wilder told my dad that this is probably going to be the hardest thing he has ever done. But, he can do it. We know that we are not alone in this journey and that many people are praying and whatever the outcome, we want God to get the glory.

2 comments:

  1. Lisa, I'm so glad you decided to do this. Not only will it be beneficial to those family members and friends who do not live here to keep up with your Dad's progress, but it will also be very beneficial to you as the author.

    My prayers are with all of you. The numbness will get better --- education of what is going on is the key.

    xoxoxoxoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. You know that I've been right where you are! I'm not going to lie, this is probably going to be one of the hardest things you will ever experience, I know it has been for me & Stacy, but the good news is: you are not alone! There are so many people that are lifting, not only your dad, but your whole family up in prayer. The Bible says, "the spirit of a man sustains him" When we are facing hard times, all of the Word that we have heard through the years seems to rise up and give us the strength we need to make it through. Just keep your eyes on Jesus and even when it is so hard and you feel at the end of the rope, He's always there to pull you through. I know God's plan for Mr Fred is perfect healing and we are believing for it with you! We love ya'll so much! If you need anything, don't hesitate to ask!

    ReplyDelete